Within the confines of this little cyber-world, you will encounter mind boggling facts (doubtful), side splitting humor (more doubtful), artifacts of great historical significance (we have a lot of old family photos to bore you with), and maybe you will even come across some genuine German/Canadian stuff

(Got your curiosity up, eh?!?)


Of the nine in this family, I am the Canadian. I am out numbered 9 to 1 by Americans. The odds are still in my favor. I am after all, "The Father." Join me on our wonderful journey.


"The Father"

GREAT PLACE TO ORDER QUALITY HERBS!

Bulk organic herbs, spices and essential oils. Sin

Jan 11, 2010

Well....This Hasn't Gone as Planned, and Our (3) Fans are Probably Leaving...

We have called this meeting (on our blog) to make a very important announcement...


...





...




...




...THE DISCHERS ARE STILL ALIVE!!!


Yes! We are still alive. We have not frozen to death - either in Missouri or in our home state in the Not-So-Sunny-South. (Has anyone heard anything on the status of Global Warming lately? Our Go-Green lifestyle hasn't been going so well, and we've had to make some alterations. Due to the cold weather, we have had to kill many innocent trees to stay warm. Due to this fact, we are postponing our move for two or three years to conserve our carbon footprint and and plant some new trees in repentance of this unforgivable act.)


Anyhow - we've been having SEVERE problems with Blogger. It is refusing to allow me to upload pictures in a normal fashion. If I stay away long enough (for a day or so), it has been slightly possible for me to dash to the computer (dropping everything else), swiftly and with astounding agility sneak-upload one or two pictures (if I make a truly surprise attack I even get three) before Blogger realizes that I have outflanked him and puts a stop to my attack. (Either I have gotten good at this or Blogger is hoping to eventually wear down my defenses by allowing me to think over and over that perhaps I have won the war, only to have my joy and jubilation struck down in one ruthless message: There is a picture(s) too large for Blogger to upload. Please resize and try again. This message is a false statement, as I have the photos set at the smallest possible setting.)


So, at the rate that I have been able to gain my very small victories, you should be seeing a post in two or three years (about the same time we make our move. Hopefully all of our trees will have been planted again and we would have saved up enough carbon...)


Until such a time as that, please enjoy this post. Following are some quotes and stories about us kids through the years. Hopefully they will amuse ya'll as they have us! (documented by Mama unless noted)




~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~

BLAST...FROM THE PAST...


~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~






  • Grace- “Come on, Barbie, can you kill this bug? Are you brave enough? Go on, get it, get it!” (While making Barbie’s foot step on a bug)
  • I doubt the Mattel research team envisioned this scenario
  • (1998) Kitty asked today if "Hair Saloons" were OK to go to.

  • (1998) While visiting the Millers, Grace found a bosom friend in "White Feather", the chicken on death row. She said, "when I feel lonely, I just go to White Feather, and she goes, 'coo coo', and that comforts me" She also brought a white feather from White Feather home with her. (I guess for emergency emotional boosts)
  • (1998) Peter logically calls the small 5-stick pack of "Big Red" chewing gum, "Little Red"
  • (1999) EDDIE CONVINCED MARKIE THAT SHE COULD MAKE THE CAR LIGHTS TURN ON WITH A WORD, AND OFF BY BLOWING THEM OUT. THE OTHER DAY (A MONTH LATER) I HEAR HER BLOWING FOR ALL SHE'S WORTH IN HER CARSEAT.
  • (1999) KITTY WAS SUPPOSED TO BE WORKING, AND CAME UP WITH THE BRILLIANT PLAN OF TAKING SCRAPS TO THE CHICKENS, SO SHE COULD SECRETLY CHECK FOR EGGS, AND BREAK THE MONOTONY. I HAD NO PROBLEM WITH THIS, SO WHEN I ASKED HER WHAT SHE WAS DOING, SHE ANSWERED, AND I SUGGESTED SHE GET MARKIE'S SHOES ON HER AND TAKE HER WITH HER TO THE CHICKEN COOP. WELL, THIS DID NOT FIT IN HER LITTLE PLAN AT ALL! IT WAS SO FUNNY TO SEE HER FACE AS SHE BEGRUDGINGLY PUT MARKIE'S SHOES ON HER AND TRUDGED OUT THE DOOR SAYING "COME ON, MARKIE" THE PICTURE WAS UNFORGETABLE. Sooooo FUNNY!
  • (2001) We were listening to the Anderson Brothers sing do-op, and they were singing the song “409”. Sarah Beth asked “what’s so special about a cleaner that they would write a song about it?” (for real – NOT a joke!)
  • (2001) I was trying to explain to Grace how we know when there is a voice mail on the phone. I was saying, “The phone goes beep, beep, beep…” Markie was into the conversation – right up to speed with the rest of us. “No, when the phone goes ring, ring, you answer it and say, hello”
  • (2001) I had bought the Wal-Mart store brand light bulbs on a pretty regular basis, and then bought Wal-Mart brand vanilla. SarahBeth saw the vanilla, and said in all sincerity and astonishment, “Mama, WHY are we buying vanilla from a light bulb company?”
  • (2001) Peter had gone to major league ball game with Granddaddy. The Cleveland Indians were hosting the Montreal Expos. That night Uncle Chris asked him who was playing the Indians, and Peter answered, “The Visitors”. In all sincerity!
  • (2003) I was talking to Markie on the phone while I was in VA for the International Competition. Suddenly, she asked me if I would like to talk to her dragonfly. I said, “sure”, and there was silence. She asked, “did you hear him?” I said, “no”. Silence again, “Did you hear him now?” Of course I had heard him THAT time!
  • (2003) Rose has an imaginary friend. She has a rabbit. It is extremely small. She holds it in her hand. She asks us to pet it and asks if we would like to hold it. It apparently scratched her, and she gave it a “spanking”. The rabbit was sitting in her open hand, and WHAM down comes her other hand on top of it. The rabbit surely must have been killed, but no, it was still there! Peter finally got so tired of the rabbit that he “threw it out the window.” This devastated Rosie and we had to “retrieve” it.
  • (2009) I (Kitty) was standing at the mirror in the girl’s room and Rose was laying on the bed. Rose looked at me a bit odd and said, “Kitty, are you pulling out your eyelashes?”“Um….nope.”
    “Oh.”
    Silence.
    Rose looks up at the top of her bed with a vacant expression in her eyes. In kind of light dreamy voice she drawls, “I remember when Mama pulled Grace’s eyelashes out.”
    I just kind of stood there, racking my brain for a reason Mama would pull Grace’s eyelashes out. I kind of made a noise in reply. “Mmmmummmmmm—hmmmmuuuum”
    Silence
    Rose coming slightly back into focus. “Or maybe it was her eyebrows……”
  • (2009) The way Emma's mind works.....We were talking about the oranges and how they are growing. “Like I am growing!” says Emma. “I am growing orange! The cows are growing! I am growing into a cow and you are the Mama cow and Daddy is the Daddy cow.”



  • (2009) Emma was playing on “her” cell phone. Grace took pity on her and pretended to call her.
    “Hello”, says Grace, “Who is this?”
    “Cinderella” comes the reply
    “Oh! How are you?”
    Emma responds with this beguiling face, “I’m pretty…with my sparkly shoes…”




Thanks for stopping by!!! Hopefully Blogger will soon allow us to go on with our Posting Life.



Until next time....
~Kitty~

5 comments:

Bonnie said...

Oh, Kitty, these are so sweet and funny! I remember some of them from the time they took place -- I can see each little face and its unique facial expression "in all sincerity"! Thanks for a sweet walk down memory lane!

Love,
Grandmother

The Miller Family said...

So, so funny! I can remember the "White Feather" story vividly!

Love,
Katie

The Stricklen Family said...

How fun!! A stroll down memory lane -- better than those old pictures anyway!
I remember some of those as well, definitely the "white feather" story!!

I thoroughly enjoyed that!

Blogger must have picked up you as the most recent enemy, because a few weeks ago Mary had war with Blogger and he used the same defenses!!

Love,
Aunt Molly

Johann Van De Leeuw said...

LOL
Hope y'all will be able to fix the problem.
Or you could try Wordpress.

~Johann

The Stricklen Family said...

My comment didn't make any sense -- I was hurrying :)
I should have said Blogger was using the same offensive technique or something -- defenses made no sense.

Aunt Molly

Country Cousins CDs available here!

Country Cousins CDs available here!
Free shipping

Our Stats


View My Stats

OUR AMAZON PICKS! SHOP THROUGH OUR LINK!